Tuesday, April 23, 2013
I'm a big fan of the grilled cheese sandwich. Actually, after getting a George Foreman grill at a garage sale, I can't say I've had any type of non-grilled sandwich since.
Here are some great ideas from The Food Network.
How to make grilled cheese:
1. Heat 1 tablespoon salted butter in a cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
2. Press the sandwich slightly and place it in the skillet. Cook until golden on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Flip, adding more butter to the pan if needed, and cook until the other side is golden and the cheese melts, 3 to 5 more minutes.
1. Classic Sandwich 2 slices cheddar, monterey jack or Swiss cheese between 2 slices country white bread; cook, flipping once, until golden.
2. Bacon and Tomato Make Classic Grilled Cheese (No. 1), adding 3 slices crisp bacon and 1 slice tomato between the cheese.
3. Triple Cheese Make Classic Grilled Cheese (No. 1), using 1 slice each cheddar, muenster and Swiss cheese.
4. Spicy Nacho Sandwich 2 slices white bread with 1 slice monterey jack or American cheese, some pickled jalapeño slices and 1 slice cheddar. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
5. Crunchy Nacho Make Spicy Nacho Grilled Cheese (No. 4), adding 1 tablespoon crushed corn chips with the jalapenos.
6. Goat Cheese–Peppadew Mix 1/2 cup cream cheese with 1/4 cup goat cheese and 8 chopped Peppadew peppers. Sandwich one-quarter of the mixture between 2 slices multigrain bread; cook, flipping once, until golden. (Use the remaining cheese mixture for more sandwiches.)
7. Grilled Cheese Fingers Make Classic Grilled Cheese (No. 1). Cut off the crusts and cut the sandwich into strips.
8. Diner Sandwich 2 slices American cheese between 2 slices white bread. Spread mayonnaise on the outside of the sandwich and cook, flipping once, until golden. Serve with ketchup.
9. Spicy Diner Mix 1 tablespoon mayonnaise with 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha. Make Diner Grilled Cheese (No. 8), replacing the mayonnaise with the spicy mayonnaise mixture.
10. Cheddar and Pickles Make Diner Grilled Cheese (No. 8), replacing the American cheese with aged white cheddar and adding sliced pickles between the cheese.
11. Havarti and Chicken Salad Sandwich 2 slices potato bread with 1 slice havarti, 2 to 3 tablespoons chicken salad and another slice of havarti. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
12. Garlic Ham and Cheese Prepare 2 thick slices frozen garlic bread as the label directs. Sandwich with 2 slices each monterey jack and ham. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
13. Pesto Spread pesto on 1 slice white bread. Top with 1 slice each provolone and mozzarella. Top with another slice of bread and cook, flipping once, until golden.
14. Avocado Toss 1/4 sliced avocado with lime juice and lime zest to taste. Sandwich 2 slices white bread with 2 slices pepper jack and the avocado. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
15. Potato Chip Spread yellow mustard on 1 slice whole-wheat bread; top with 2 slices American cheese and 8 potato chips. Top with another slice of bread and cook, flipping once, until golden.
16. Swiss-Mushroom Spread 2 slices rye bread with Thousand Island dressing. Sandwich with 1 slice Swiss cheese, some sautéed mushrooms and onions, and another slice of Swiss. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
17. Bagel Spread a split bagel with mayonnaise and spicy mustard. Sandwich with 1 slice muenster, 2 slices salami and another slice of muenster. Cook, flipping once, until golden, pressing to flatten.
18. Cajun Sandwich 2 slices country white bread with 2 slices provolone. Cook in butter with a pinch of Cajun seasoning.
19. Muffuletta Make Cajun Grilled Cheese (No. 18), adding 1 tablespoon deli olive salad between the cheese.
20. Roasted Tomato Toss 4 halved plum tomatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 350 degrees F, 1 hour; mash. Spread 2 slices sourdough bread with one-quarter of the tomato mixture and sandwich with 2 slices cheddar. Cook, flipping once, until golden. (Use the remaining tomato mixture for more sandwiches.)
21. Blue Cheese and Onion Sandwich 2 slices marble rye bread with 1 slice each muenster and soft blue cheese, some caramelized onions and another slice of muenster. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
22. Italian Sandwich 2 slices sourdough bread with 1 slice provolone, 1 slice mortadella, some chopped pickled vegetables and another slice of provolone. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
23. Fontina and Sage Fry 4 sage leaves in a skillet in butter and olive oil until crisp. Sandwich 2 slices crusty bread with 2 slices fontina and the fried sage. Cook in the same skillet.
24. Mediterranean Spread baba ghanoush on 2 slices whole-grain bread. Sandwich with 1 slice monterey jack, a few thin slices grilled zucchini, 2 tablespoons crumbled feta and another slice of monterey jack. Cook in olive oil.
25. Gruyere and Sauerkraut Spread dijon mustard on 1 slice crusty bread. Top with 2 slices gruyere, 1 tablespoon sauerkraut and another slice of bread. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
26. Roast Beef and Brie Spread 2 slices sourdough bread with dijon mustard and brie (remove the rind). Sandwich with some caramelized onions and 1 slice roast beef. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
27. Inside-Out Bun Sandwich 1 slice each pepper jack and Swiss cheese on an inside-out seedless hamburger bun. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
28. Patty Melt Cook a thin hamburger patty to medium doneness. Sandwich an inside-out seedless hamburger bun with 1 slice cheddar, the hamburger patty and 1 slice American cheese. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
29. Hot Dog Halve a hot dog lengthwise; brown in a skillet. Spread a hot dog bun with ketchup and mustard, then sandwich with the hot dog and 1 slice American cheese. Cook, flipping once, until golden, pressing to flatten.
30. Meaty Macaroni Spread 3 tablespoons warm macaroni and cheese on 2 slices potato bread. Drizzle with hot sauce and sandwich with ¼ cup warm pulled pork. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
31. Spanish Olive Sandwich 1/4 cup grated manchego cheese and 1 tablespoon sliced green olives between 2 slices white bread. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
32. Fig and Olive Make Spanish Olive Grilled Cheese (No. 31), spreading the bread with fig jam before building the sandwich.
33. Bacon-Waffle-Cheddar Sandwich 2 thawed toaster waffles with 1 slice cheddar, 2 slices crisp bacon and another slice of cheddar. Cook, flipping once, until golden. Serve with maple syrup.
34. Egg in a Hole Cut out a 2-inch round from the center of 1 slice country white bread; place the bread in a hot buttered skillet and crack an egg into the hole. Cook until the white sets, then flip and top with 1 slice cheddar. Meanwhile, add another slice of bread to the skillet and top with 1 slice cheddar and 3 slices crisp bacon. Sandwich the two halves and cook until golden.
35. Pear-Camembert Spread 2 slices multigrain bread with camembert (remove the rind). Sandwich with thin pear slices. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
36. Ham–Apple Butter Spread 1 slice country white bread with apple butter and another with dijon mustard. Sandwich with 1 slice Swiss cheese, 1 slice ham and another slice of Swiss. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
37. Hawaiian Spread 2 slices Hawaiian sweet bread or challah bread with pineapple preserves. Sandwich with 2 slices each monterey jack and ham. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
38. Taleggio and Broccoli Rabe Sandwich 2 slices crusty bread with 2 slices taleggio and some sauteed broccoli rabe. Cook in a mixture of butter and olive oil.
39. Ricotta-Garlic Mix 1 cup shredded mozzarella, 1/2 cup ricotta, 1/3 cup grated parmesan, 1 small grated garlic clove, and salt to taste. Sandwich 2 slices sourdough bread with one-quarter of the ricotta mixture and cook, flipping once, until golden. (Use the remaining ricotta mixture for more sandwiches.)
40. Fried Mozzarella Whisk 1 egg and 2 tablespoons milk in a shallow dish. Mix 1/4 cup flour and 2 tablespoons grated parmesan in another dish. Sandwich 2 slices white bread with 2 slices fresh mozzarella. Dredge in the flour mixture, then dip in the beaten egg. Cook, flipping once, until golden.
41. Open-Face Cutouts Cut shapes out of sliced white bread using a cookie cutter. Cut matching shapes out of sliced cheddar. Broil the bread until lightly toasted, then flip, top each with a piece of cheese and broil until the cheese melts.
42. Open-Face Caprese Broil a split ciabatta roll until lightly toasted. Drizzle with olive oil and top each half with 2 slices tomato and 2 slices fresh mozzarella. Broil until the cheese melts. Top with chopped basil.
43. Pizza Spread 2 slices Italian bread with marinara sauce and sandwich with 1 slice provolone, 2 slices pepperoni and 1 slice mozzarella. Cook in a mixture of butter and olive oil.
44. Open-Face French Onion Broil baguette slices until toasted. Top with caramelized onions and shredded gruyère; broil until the cheese melts. Top with chives.
45. Open-Face Pastrami Spread Russian dressing on 1 slice pumpernickel bread. Top with a few slices pastrami and 1 slice Swiss cheese. Broil until the cheese melts.
46. BBQ Roast Beef Spread 1 slice country white bread with 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce. Top with 2 slices each cheddar and roast beef, then top with another slice of bread. Brush melted butter on the outside of the sandwich and cook on a grill, turning, until golden.
47. Truly Grilled Cheese Toss 1 thick slice haloumi cheese with olive oil and chopped oregano. Rub 1 thick slice crusty bread with garlic and brush with olive oil. Cook the cheese and bread separately on a grill, turning, until marked. Rub the bread with a halved tomato and top with the cheese; sprinkle with salt and lemon juice.
48. Brie and Marmalade Spread 2 slices cinnamon-raisin bread with orange marmalade. Sandwich with 2 slices brie (remove the rind) and cook, flipping once, until golden.
49. Creamy Quince Spread 2 slices brioche with quince preserves; sandwich with 2 slices triple-cream cheese, such as Saint André, or brie (remove the rind). Cook, flipping once, until golden.
50. Nutella and Banana Spread 1 slice challah bread or brioche with ricotta; spread another with Nutella. Sandwich with sliced bananas and cook, flipping once, until golden.
Friday, April 19, 2013
Maxine Marie Loats
A wife, a mother, a grandmother, a sister, a friend
From Lafayette to Minneapolis to Prairie Village
From Fairview Hospital to St. Joseph Hospital
From 1208 4th street to 6120 W 76th terrace
From St. John-Emmanuel to Westminster Presbyterian to Village Presbyterian
She was a dietician, a baker, an excellent cook
Christmas cookies, cherry pie, and gingerbread
Family dinners, birthday cakes, and turkey dinners
She was a Den mother, a Girl Scout leader, a PTA president
She was a good neighbor, a great friend, a loving sister
She loved flowers and gardening, cross-stitch and knitting
She loved taking pictures and her scrapbooks
She loved her Purdue Boiler Makers and her KU basketball
She loved Village Presbyterian, her bible study group, and knitting
Hats for the newborn babies at Children’s Mercy Hospital
She loved Hummel’s, Noah’s Ark, and Snow White
She loved her German heritage
She loved bridge group, Trailblazers, neighborhood get-togethers,
Family reunions and barbeques
She loved her life-mate, John, for 52 years
She loved her Bob, her Tom, her Kathy, and her Bill
She loved all her grandchildren
Maxine Marie Loats
A wife, a mother, a grandmother, a sister, and a friend.
By Tena and Miranda Loats